John P. Dedon is a tax lawyer with a talent for explaining the complexities of tax law in lay terms. Working in the estate planning, asset protection and business areas for more than 35 years, John helps clients preserve assets and plan for the future with traditional planning tools, including Trusts (dynasty trusts, intentionally defective trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts), LLC and partnership entities, and cutting- edge concepts such as cryonic preservation trusts. John also works extensively in the charitable area, creating public and private charities, remainder and lead trusts, supporting organizations, and churches.
John has been quoted extensively in newspapers throughout the country, including the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Chicago Tribune. He has written numerous articles for professional journals and publications on tax issues and speaks on tax matters and wealth preservation issues for health care providers, certified public accountants, lawyers, financial planners, and the public. He is also the author of the blog, Dedon on Estate Planning, a regularly updated discussion of estate planning topics affecting Virginia residents and U.S. citizens.
Visit John’s blog at DedonOnEstatePlanning.com.
- Estate Planning
- Tax Planning and Controversy
- Wealth Preservation
- Asset Protection
- Corporate and Business Planning
- Preserving Assets in Trusts for Clients Considering Cyronics, Estate Planning magazine, August 2018
- The “Simple” Private Foundation – Changing One Life at a Time, Estate Planning magazine, May 2018
- Cautionary Guidance for Operating a Private Foundation, Estate Planning magazine (2016)
- Integrating Income Taxes in Modern Estate Planning Decisions—A Case Study, Tax Management Estate, Gifts and Trusts Journal (2016)
- Attorney Advises Medical Professionals on Estate Planning (2016)
- Essentials of Estate Planning: Is There a Paradigm Shift, Loudoun County Bar, Oct. 2017
- Which Dragon Do We Slay? The Interplay of Income Tax planning and Drafting Wills and Trusts, Virginia Bar Association, July 2017
- Estate Planning Issues and Concerns, Fairfax County Bar, May 2017
- Estate Planning Issues and Solutions, Cypress International, July 2016