Sean Patrick Roche
Sean Patrick Roche is a civil litigation attorney and a partner in the firm. His practice is devoted to complex civil litigation with expertise in matters generally revolving around a variety of forms of contract disputes. Mr. Roche is licensed to practice law in Virginia, Washington, D.C., and Maryland. He regularly handles litigation in the state and federal courts throughout all three jurisdictions. He has also been admitted to appear on behalf of clients in various courts throughout the United States for specific litigation as necessary.
Mr. Roche was born and raised in the Washington, D.C. area, where he continues to reside with his wife and two sons. He obtained two Bachelor of Arts degrees from Georgetown University, a Juris Doctorate from the University of Richmond School of Law (where he served on the Law Review as Allen Chair Editor), and a Master of Laws (“LL.M.”) in Litigation and Dispute Resolution from
The George Washington University Law School. Mr. Roche is also a graduate of the College of Trial Advocacy.
Mr. Roche has been named among Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite” and he has been selected as a “Virginia Super Lawyer – Rising Star.” Inclusion on these lists means Mr. Roche is among those lawyers recognized by his peers as the best in Virginia.
Litigation and Arbitration/Mediation Focus
While a trial attorney’s special expertise is in the area of courtroom practice and procedure, Mr. Roche applies that discipline regularly in the following areas:
General Civil Litigation
Real Estate Litigation
Local Government/Municipal Litigation
Trust & Estate Litigation
Banking & Debtor/Creditor Litigation
Labor & Employment Litigation
Alternative Dispute Resolution (Arbitration and Mediation)
Commercial Landlord-Tenant Litigation
- Settlement in favor of the client in complex employment law dispute after presentation of Mr. Roche’s motion to strike at trial.
- Judgment at trial of nearly $500,000.00 in complex business dispute.
- Settlement in favor of the client of complex landlord-tenant dispute for the full amount demanded in addition to significant lease extension after presentation of Mr. Roche’s case in chief.
- Dismissal by jury of all claims in favor of client on business dissolution dispute.
- Dismissal in favor of client on motion to dismiss involving securities litigation.
- Dismissal in favor of client following trial of complex litigation involving multi-million dollar construction dispute.
- Dismissal by motion of complex construction dispute in which the presiding judge described Mr. Roche’s defense of his client as “first rate” and “a take-no-prisoner’s defense.” Significant sanctions were also awarded in favor of the client.
- Numerous judgments and confidential settlements in favor of clients on various forms of business disputes with Mr. Roche as lead counsel.
- Dismissal with prejudice by opposing party immediately following Mr. Roche’s deposition of the Plaintiff.
- Settlement in favor of the client in subrogation dispute involving complex products liability and personal injury claims.
- Successful prosecution and defense of numerous injunctions (preliminary and permanent) in both state and federal courts involving complicated non-compete, non-solicitation, and/or estate claims.
- Regular representation of individuals and national/international entities as local counsel, often serving as lead counsel in dismissing claims on jurisdictional grounds.
- Dismissal of numerous cases on demurrer, plea in bar, or pre-trial motion due to procedural and/or substantive grounds.
- Sean Roche, et al., Law 101: An Essential Reference for Your Everyday Legal Questions (2d ed., Sphinx Publishing, 2009)
- Jonathan D. Frieden & Sean Patrick Roche, E-Commerce: Legal Issues for the Online Retailer in Virginia, 13 Rich. J.L. & Tech, 2006
- University of Richmond Law Review, Allen Chair Symposium 2004: Federal Judicial Selection (Sean Roche ed., 2005)
- Sean Roche, Advanced Issues in Virginia Employment Law: Legal Issues in Employee Privacy, National Business Institute 1, 1-42 (2004)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- Virginia State Bar
- Fairfax Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- USA Triathlon Association
- LL.M., Litigation & Dispute Resolution, The George Washington University Law School
- College of Trial Advocacy, The George Washington University Law School
- J.D., University of Richmond School of Law
– University of Richmond Law Review – Allen Chair Editor, Executive Board
– Richmond Journal of Law & Technology – Associate Solicitations Editor
– Justice, Honor Council
- B.A., Government & History, Georgetown University