John Patrick Sherry
John Patrick (“JP”) Sherry is a founding partner of the firm whose practice is dedicated to state and federal civil litigation. An experienced trial attorney, Mr. Sherry has prevailed as lead counsel on countless litigation matters, from bench and jury trials to arbitration and mediation hearings. Mr. Sherry’s motions practice routinely finds him in courts throughout Northern Virginia and Maryland. On the appellate level, Mr. Sherry has argued before the Virginia Supreme Court and succeeded both in obtaining appellate review for his clients and in defeating opposing parties’ petitions for such review.
Litigation and Arbitration/Mediation Focus
While trial lawyers’ special expertise is in the area of courtroom practice and procedure, Mr. Sherry applies that discipline regularly in the following areas, among others:
Labor & Employment Litigation
Commercial Lease Litigation
Real Estate Litigation
Local Government/Municipal Litigation
– Mechanic’s Liens
– Claims on Public Projects
Banking & Debtor/Creditor Litigation
- Secured a defense verdict upholding and enforcing a joint venture real estate sales contract worth over $60 million to the client.
- Obtained a $660,000 jury verdict for a client defrauded in a Nigerian “411” scam. In the course of their deliberations, the jury asked the judge if they could award the client additional money in court costs and out-of-pocket expenses.
- Obtained a $550,000 jury verdict on a homeowner’s insurance claim – the maximum amount of coverage under the policy. On the verdict form, the jury included a handwritten note asking that the judge also award the client all attorney’s fees, in spite of a prior instruction that no such claim was permitted by law.
- Secured a defense verdict upholding and enforcing a real estate sales contract in the face of undue influence and fraud claims by the seller. The verdict allowed the client to realize an additional $200,000 in the ultimate resale of the property.
- Prevailed at trial on a motion to strike plaintiff’s entire claim seeking to void her agreement to purchase a client’s business. Through careful procedural strategy, the client was able to keep the business for resale along with the substantial amount that plaintiff had already paid towards the purchase price.
- Obtained a six figure award in an arbitration hearing on behalf of a construction contractor against homeowners.
- In a hotly contested boundary line dispute, prevailed at trial on a client’s claim to entitlement of a prime price of real estate by adverse possession.
- U. S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U. S. District Court for Maryland
- U. S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- J.D., George Washington University Law School, With Honors
- B.A., Tufts University, Magna Cum Laude