Sean Patrick Roche is a business litigation attorney and a partner in the firm. His practice is devoted to complex civil litigation with expertise in matters generally revolving around a variety of forms of contract disputes, often including high stakes “bet-the-company” litigation. For example, Mr. Roche regularly handles contract litigation involving construction, real estate, trust and estates, labor and employment, commercial landlord-tenant, telecommunication, intellectual property, and various other forms of complex business disputes. Ultimately, Mr. Roche is a trial attorney though his expertise is in conflict resolution, whether by prevailing in court or negotiating the best possible resolution out of court. Mr. Roche is licensed to practice law in Virginia, Washington, D.C., and Maryland. He regularly handles litigation in the state and federal courts throughout all three jurisdictions and he is often specially admitted to appear on behalf of clients in various courts and arbitration proceedings throughout the United States and Canada for specific matters as necessary.
Mr. Roche was born and raised in the Washington, D.C. area, where he continues to reside with his wife and two sons. He obtained two Bachelor of Arts degrees from Georgetown University, a Juris Doctorate from the University of Richmond School of Law (where he served on the Law Review as Allen Chair Editor), and a Master of Laws (“LL.M.”) in Litigation and Dispute Resolution from The George Washington University Law School. Mr. Roche is also a graduate of the College of Trial Advocacy.
Mr. Roche has been named among Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite”, the Washington Post Magazine’s “Outstanding Young Lawyers,” and he has been elected as a “Super Lawyer” in Virginia, Maryland, and D.C. In his first year of eligibility, he achieved an AV-rating by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest available rating from the premier attorney rating database. Inclusion on these various lists means Mr. Roche is among those lawyers recognized by his peers as one of the best in the D.C. metropolitan region.
A trial attorney’s special expertise is in the area of courtroom practice and trial procedure. Mr. Roche applies that discipline regularly in the following types of business disputes:
- General Civil Litigation
- Business Torts
- Real Estate Litigation
- Local Government/Municipal Litigation
- Contract Disputes
- Corporate Litigation
- Trust & Estate Litigation
- Banking & Debtor/Creditor Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Labor & Employment Litigation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (Arbitration and Mediation)
- Commercial Landlord-Tenant Litigation
- Over $25 million dollars in total judgment amounts obtained through bench and jury trials.
- Millions of dollars in confidential settlements, often including long-term business benefits in addition to immediate monetary payments.
- Numerous cases dismissed and/or resolved through motions to dismiss, demurrer, plea in bar, or other pretrial practice and procedure.
- Dismissal by jury of all claims in favor of client on business dissolution dispute.
- Dismissal in favor of client on motion to dismiss involving complex securities litigation.
- Dismissal in favor of client following trial of complex litigation involving multi-million dollar construction dispute.
- Dismissal by motion of complex construction dispute involving multiple millions of dollars in dispute in which the presiding judge described Mr. Roche’s defense of his client as “first rate” and “a take no prisoner’s defense.” Mr. Roche’s client was also awarded reimbursement of its fees and costs by way of a substantial against the opposing party.
- Dismissal with prejudice by opposing party immediately following Mr. Roche’s deposition of the Plaintiff.
- Dismissal in favor of client in subrogation dispute involving complex products liability and personal injury claims.
- Successful prosecution and defense of numerous injunctions (preliminary and permanent) in both state and federal courts involving complicated non-compete, non-solicitation, and/or estate claims.
- Representation of various financial institutions in contract and business disputes.
- Representation of municipal and governmental organizations in contract and business disputes.
- Regular representation of individuals and national/international entities as local counsel, often serving as lead counsel in dismissing claims on jurisdictional grounds.
- Resolution through arbitration of multi-million dollar claims in national/international arbitrations.
- Sean Roche, et al., Law 101: An Essential Reference for Your Everyday Legal Questions (2d ed., Sphinx Publishing, 2009).
- Jonathan D. Frieden & Sean Patrick Roche, E-Commerce: Legal Issues for the Online Retailer in Virginia, 13 Rich. J.L. & Tech, 2006.
- University of Richmond Law Review, Allen Chair Symposium 2004: Federal Judicial Selection (Sean Roche ed., 2005)
- Sean Roche, Advanced Issues in Virginia Employment Law: Legal Issues in Employee Privacy, National Business Institute 1, 1-42 (2004).
- 3M Co. v. Directi Internet Sols. Pvt. Ltd., No. 1:11CV627, 2012 WL 5527154 (E.D. Va. Nov. 13, 2012) (finding judgment in favor of Sean Roche’s client in complex cybersquatting and trademark infringement litigation).
- Boeman v. Reed, No. 1:09 CV 848, 2009 WL 3698496 (N.D. Ohio Nov. 4, 2009) (granting motion of dismissal of Sean Roche).
- Zhou Jie Plant v. Merrifield Town Ctr. Ltd. P’ship, 482 F. App’x 823 (4th Cir. 2012) (upholding ruling obtained by Sean Roche at the trial court level dismissing action as a result of discovery violations and otherwise denying the Plaintiffs’ requested relief).
- Roberts Welding, LLC v. Hanover Ins. Co., No. CIV.A. GLR-12-2838, 2012 WL 6698646 (D. Md. Dec. 21, 2012) (granting the motion of Sean Roche and dismissing case on procedural grounds).
- Suntrust Inv. Servs., Inc. v. Cleary, No. CIV. 09-01066RJL, 2009 WL 1651541 (D.D.C. June 12, 2009) (granting motion of Sean Roche and issuing an injunction upholding non-solicitation and non-compete contracts).
- 3M Co. v. Directi Internet Sols. Pvt. Ltd., No. 1:11CV627, 2012 WL 1579767 (E.D. Va. May 3, 2012) (finding judgment in favor of Sean Roche’s client in complex cybersquatting and trademark infringement litigation).
- Plant v. Merrifield Town Ctr. Ltd. P’ship, No. 1:08CV374, 2012 WL 293221 (E.D. Va. Jan. 30, 2012) (denying motion of Plaintiff seeking to overturn judgment obtained by Sean Roche in favor of the Defendants).
- Lodal v. Verizon Virginia, Inc., 74 Va. Cir. 110, 2007 WL 5984179 (Fairfax County, Aug. 22, 2007) (dismissing claims based on pretrial motion of Sean Roche).
- Murnan v. Stewart Title Guar. Co., 607 F. Supp. 2d 745 (E.D. Va. 2009) (obtaining reconsideration of prior order from trial court and granting motion of Sean Roche dismissing matter with prejudice).
- In re Merrifield Town Ctr. Ltd. P’ship, No. 09-18119-SSM, 2010 WL 5015006 (Bankr. E.D. Va. Dec. 3, 2010) (dismissing matter in favor of Sean Roche’s clients and awarding them recovery of fees and costs while describing Mr. Roche’s work as “first rate” and a “take no prisoners defense.”).
- Shay v. Sight & Sound Sys., Inc., 668 F. Supp. 2d 80 (D.D.C. 2009) (granting motion of Sean Roche and dismissing case on pretrial motions).
- Am. Prop. Const. Co. v. Sprenger Lang Found., 768 F. Supp. 2d 198 (D.D.C. 2011) (denying motion for summary judgment and finding in favor of Sean Roche while ordering the matter to proceed to trial).
- Nemet Chevrolet, Ltd. v. Consumeraffairs.com, Inc., 564 F. Supp. 2d 544 (E.D. Va. 2008), aff’d, 591 F.3d 250 (4th Cir. 2009) (dismissing matter in its entirety based upon a statutory argument raised by Sean Roche).
- Chubb & Son v. C & C Complete Servs., LLC, 919 F. Supp. 2d 666 (D. Md. 2013) (dismissing claims of Plaintiffs on the motion to dismiss filed by Sean Roche).
- Khatib v. All. Bankshares Corp., 846 F. Supp. 2d 18 (D.D.C. 2012) (denying Plaintiff’s motion for preliminary injunction and proceeding to dismiss the case altogether on counter-motion to dismiss filed by Sean Roche).
- A-J Marine, Inc. v. Corfu Contractors, Inc., 810 F. Supp. 2d 168 (D.D.C. 2011) (quashing subpoena issued against the client of Sean Roche and dismissing the litigation altogether).
- Zhou Jie Plant v. Merrifield Town Ctr. Ltd. P’ship, 751 F. Supp. 2d 857 (E.D. Va. 2010), aff’d, 482 F. App’x 823 (4th Cir. 2012) (granting motion for summary judgment of Sean Roche on multi-million dollar class action litigation).
- 3M Co. v. Thailand3M.net, No. 1:11CV627, 2013 WL 2156322 (E.D. Va. Apr. 23, 2013) (granting judgment in favor of Sean Roche’s client on complex cybersquatting and trademark infringement claims).
- United States v. Preston, 123 F. Supp. 3d 93 (D.D.C. 2015) (denying government’s motion for seizure of client’s assets resulting in a settlement that resolved all claims).
- Plant v. Merrifield Town Ctr. Ltd. P’ship, 711 F. Supp. 2d 576 (E.D. Va. 2010) (obtaining dismissal of multi-million dollar class action based on procedural and pretrial litigation strategy).
- Northern Virginia’s Annual Seminar on Commercial Landlord-Tenant Law (2014, 2015, and 2016).